This weekend was very productive in modding front, altough I didn’t get any major parts finished.
On IRL side we went on to buy new apartment this week. The modding part of the news is that it is a two-story apartment and I will get a dedicated workshop at the upper floor - yay! Upper floor means there will be no neighbours on downstairs and as the whole building is just on the foundation stage, I can still order enough acoustic dampening to the walls to make it possible to mod all night long :-]. Additional bonus is that Leena, who is my fellow computer hardware enthusiast is living just half a kilometer away from the new apartment. Not bad, not bad at all.
We mutually agreed that I need a dedicated room for modding - I guess the half a year of acrylic dust in our nowadays shared study has softened her :-D.
Luckily also the next Tuesday is our Independence Day and thus free from work. More time for modding :-).
But back to business. I continued the mobo rails. Attaching spacers and rails:
These are my new drill bits. They are meant for wood and have spike in the center and blades at the outer edges. The spike does not really bite the acrylic, but melts it, but as the center will be anyway cut away, I can do with these:
Cutting M5 bolts to more correct length:
All assembled, for now:
At this point I noticed that yes, the spacing is right and the rails are parallel with each other, but in vertical direction they are not level. Oh well.. Luckily I have some extra spacers made exactly for this kind of problems. I believe some support on the other direction attached to the base will fix this, and then heatgun will take care that the corners stay in that position.
So into cutting the piece that will attach rails to the lower shroud cover:
Using spike to make sure the drill starts at the correct position:
To make sure all the pieces were perfectly aligned in vertical direction I first drilled just half of the hole and then used it to mark the same place to opposing piece:
While I was working on the mobo rails, I had to remove the lower shroud top cover so I took a break and proceeded to finally cover the side openings.
First tracing the shape to the cardboard:
As I’m now entering the realm of bending acrylic into 3D shapes, I needed some sturdy material that’s easy enough to machine, cheap and does not melt under heatgun. As I have few pieces of chipboard lying around from the previous apartment renovation, it was selected to this task.
Shape copied from cardboard:
Quite nicely the correct shape, altough it looks a bit wrong in this pic:
As I do not have yet any real countersinking equipment, I used a big concrete bit to do some countersinking:
And the reason for countersinking: attaching the chipboard into plank to get it stay in place while stretching plastic over it:
Then I continued by bending foamcore sheet into the desired shape. Its purpose is to soften the chipboard a bit so that the acrylic sheet does not get any unnecessary marks:
This is a part I am a bit proud of. It was by no means easy to get this kind of shape bent:
And now that I was satisfied with the foamcore result, it was time to go for the real stuff:
And as you can see, the foamcore model is there as a buffer between the wood and the acrylic:
Oh my, not a bad fit for a first try:
This was pretty expectedly the part that required some more attention:
The heated acrylic behaves pretty similarly to soaken rawhide, so I knew how to deal with it - no little force will be enough to get it streched. Unfortunately while I tried to cushion my pliers, they sill left some marks:
Nevertheless, it’s now almost perfect fit. Notice the nice curved profile:
I think I can live with the plier marks; maybe add some piece of acrylic to cover it or something. Gotta think about it.